Stories, opinions, facts, convictions, and lessons learned from a small town farm girl.


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

All Gave Some, Some Gave All


"This nation will remain the land of free so long as it is the home of the brave."
-Elmer Davis

Every patriotic holiday I nearly always have at least one sappy moment where I get a little choked up and realize just how proud I am to be an American. Whether it's seeing an old vet in a wheel chair proudly wearing his USMC hat, hearing Billy Ray Cyrus's "Some Gave All" on the radio, or seeing a flag that's bigger than a house flying fiercly - it never fails, every year, every patriotic holiday, at least one teary moment.

And as I lay out bathing in the sun on my day off work, I began to look around and wonder just how many people are on this beach and have no idea why they are here. How many people were taking for granted their long weekend and don't even know what Memorial Day is about. How many people take our armed forces for granted in general!

I know I'm a little late and I realize that this post is a little off-topic from my usual agriculture-related topics, but I figure better late than never. Here is a website to check out that tells a little about the History of Memorial Day.

Thank a veteran - not just on holidays but everyday - and remember those who have given their lives for our nation... and for our freedom.

"It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you"
-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment